By Philip Rousseau
- Provides a necessary assessment of present scholarship on overdue antiquity – from among the accession of Diocletian in advert 284 and the tip of Roman rule within the Mediterranean
- Comprises 39 essays from a number of the world's most popular students of the era
- Presents this once-neglected interval as an age of robust transformation that formed the fashionable world
- Emphasizes the critical value of faith and its reference to financial, social, and political life
- Winner of the 2009 unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences PROSE award granted by way of the organization of yank Publishers
Read or Download A Companion to Late Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar ancient history books
This arguable booklet explores the presence of the glorious in Biblical and similar texts, and the effect of Biblical traditions on modern myth writing, cinema, tune and paintings. The members observe numerous serious strategies and techniques from the sector of delusion stories, together with the theories of Tolkien, Todorov, Rosemary Jackson and Jack Zipes, to Biblical texts and problem theological suppositions concerning the texts which take safe haven in technology or historiography.
An vital creation to Roman society, tradition, legislation, politics, faith, and everyday life as they relate to the examine of the recent testomony. The Roman Empire shaped the imperative context within which the hot testomony was once written. someone who needs to appreciate the hot testomony texts needs to get to grips with the political, financial, societal, cultural, and spiritual points of Roman rule.
Studienarbeit aus dem Jahr 2005 im Fachbereich Geschichte - Weltgeschichte - Frühgeschichte, Antike, observe: 1,3, Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg (Institut für Geschichte), Veranstaltung: Proseminar: Die frühe römische Kaiserzeit, 21 Quellen im Literaturverzeichnis, Sprache: Deutsch, summary: Über die Lebensgeschichte des ersten römischen Kaisers Augustus lassen sich in der Literaturzahlreiche Darstellungen finden.
The japanese Roman Empire used to be the biggest kingdom in western Eurasia within the 6th century. A century later, it was once a fragment of its former measurement. Ravaged via battle and ailment, the empire appeared destined to break down. but it didn't die. John Haldon elucidates the standards that allowed the empire to outlive opposed to all odds into the 8th century.
- Ovid: Epistulae ex Ponto Book I: 1 (Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics)
- Der Frieden von Apameia: War die Herrschaft Roms über Kleinasien eine indirekte Herrschaft, gelenkt durch die Einsetzung der Marionettenstaaten Pergamon ... zu Gunsten Roms? (German Edition)
- The Ancient City (Key Themes in Ancient History)
- Dossier : Serments et paroles efficaces (Mètis) (French Edition)
- Augustinus von Hippo - Jugend und Erziehung (German Edition)
- The Circle of Lenapehoking
Additional resources for A Companion to Late Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Late Antiquity (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Philip Rousseau